There is a really good chance that this post contains affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission (for which I am deeply grateful) at no additional cost to you.
May has always been a very special month for me. It is a month of transitions, growth, changes, celebration and love. I can clearly remember how on a day like today, 12 years ago, I left my beautiful island Puerto Rico with a suitcase full of dreams, passion, determination, hope and faith. I didn’t speak English well but I was someone that relishes an ardent enthusiasm and curiosity about the world and wanted to explore it to fulfill the desire to keep learning/growing. I began to speak English within a year and quickly acclimated to American life. Always living up to my personal mantra “ I am Living my Dreams inHeels”
“I have not been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
As of today, I have experienced so many adventures, encountered so many people, it’s been a role-coasters of emotions living in New York. New York has been the best university life could have given me. I have learned to enjoy the journey more than the destination.
And talking about destinations, I remember that at an early age I enjoyed looking at the map of the world and I would often say to my mom, I will be in these places one day. Currently, as a travel writer, I am jet setting off to every corner of the globe in heels. The best part is that I have found so many angels and mentors in my life. I encourage everyone to have a mentor! A mentor is one of my biggest secret weapon…since we all have our ups and downs in life and at those moments we need someone to help us see what we do not see. This is why on this special day, I want to thank everyone who is always rooting for me and constantly supporting me in my endeavors. Also, I want to thank those who don’t support me because they have made me the woman I am today.
“If you don’t spread your wings, you will not discover how far you can fly. Give your dreams the wings to fly, you have everything you need, if you just believe!
One of my goals in life is to encourage each of you to follow your purpose and your dreams, whatever they may be. If you don’t try, you will never know if you could have succeeded. Anything that you put your heart and mind to and that you believe in, you can achieve. It’s all about believing, and about finding your why. Why do you do what you do? Do you have a powerful reason to wake up? If you don’t, then find it. It’s never too late.
“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Lastly, I wanted to leave you with 10 things I learned from living in NYC!
1. Everyone has a story and there is always something to learn from each person.
2. Let other hear your story! You never know whose life you may change.
3. Enjoy the train rides and just smile! Because NYC is the only city in the world where you will ride the train for 15-20 minutes and see two different people asking for money, a kid selling candies, a mariachi, a solo singer, 4 kids breakdancing, and a magician that does not speak English.
4. Always believe in yourself! Walk in a room with confidence, only you can open doors for yourself.
5. Do what you love. The struggle is real, but you can make anything happen if you believe.
6. Trust your journey.
7. Do not let fear or insecurity stop you from following your dreams.
8. Lend a helping hand! Today might be them, tomorrow might be you!
9. Just pack and go!!! Life is too short, go wander and travel the world. Not all who wander are lost.
10. And if nothing else works, get a new pair of shoes! It will make you smile 🙂
Cheers to making your dreams come true! And Cheers to another year of me “Living my Dreams in Heels” in NYC and all over the world! Remember to keep your heart open to Dreams. For as long as there’s a dream, there is hope. And as long as there is hope, there is joy in living. The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true!